Each month Overland Park CrossFit recognizes a member who exemplifies our values and motivates others in the gym to push themselves with encouraging words. May’s Athlete of the Month is Haley Watkins. Haley was chosen because because of how hard she works in the gym and her consistency. Haley’s hard work has paid off with the strength and confidence we’ve seen her gain over her years at OPCF! Learn more below about Haley!
1. What were your thoughts after your first CrossFit workout?
I was apprehensive to even try a class, but with the encouragement of my husband, I did. My thoughts after my first CrossFit workout were, “I can’t feel my legs and when is the next class.” I have been trying to get friends to try a class ever since.
- What has been your favorite workout?
I really enjoy any workout that involves a partner or workouts that have “strongman” type activities.
- What is your favorite cheat meal?
Anything from K-Machos!
- Where do you work?
I am an English Language Arts Kindergarten teacher for the Chinese Immersion Program at Wolf Springs Elementary.
- What do you like to do outside of work?
Outside of work there is nothing more I would rather be doing than hanging out with my boys. Besides going to OPCF together, we enjoy going to concerts, trying new restaurants, and seeing movies.
6. What advice would you give a newbie just starting at OPCF?
Don’t hesitate to make friends at the gym. They will be your biggest cheerleaders.
- What is your favorite lift?
Right now, my favorite lift is the snatch. Recently, I have seen huge improvements in my form and mobility because of Jamie’s coaching :).
- What’s your biggest “GOAT”?
- What changes have you seen in yourself since starting at OPCF?
The biggest changes I have seen are increased confidence and strength. I used to think of myself as just not very physically strong and that was just the way it was supposed to be. I was wrong!
- What is your biggest improvement or proudest accomplishment thus far?
My proudest accomplishment at OPCF so far was when I completed my first rope climb and got to share it with Charles.
- What is something you have always wanted to do but haven’t yet?