Each month Overland Park CrossFit recognizes a member who exemplifies our values and motivates others in the gym to push themselves with encouraging words. April’s Athlete of the Month is Ryan Cooke. Ryan was chosen because of his positive attitude in the gym and work ethic! Ryan brings a great energy to classes and gives his all each workout! Learn more about Ryan below.
1. How long have you been working out at Overland Park CrossFit?
This June will be 2 years at OPCF.
2. What were your thoughts after your first CrossFit workout?
What did my friend coax me into?!
3. What has been your favorite workout?
I love a good sprint style workout with a moderately heavy barbell. Clangin n bangin is my favorite.
4. What is your favorite cheat meal?
Gotta be pizza and DQ Blizzard or Sheridan’s custard.
5. What did you want to be when you grew up and where do you work now?
Growing up, I watched the original CSI and thought that was awesome so I wanted to be a crime scene investigator. Now I am in the family business of construction sales.
6. What do you like to do outside of work?
I love anything outdoors – family walks, golf, especially duck hunting.
7. What advice would you give a newbie just starting at OPCF?
Don’t be shy and don’t be afraid to embrace the suck. The workouts are equally as painful for everyone else there.
8. What is your favorite lift?
Back squats all day and twice on Sunday.
9. What’s your biggest “GOAT”?
I have a massive disdane for Assault bike. I know I suck at it, but I can never motivate myself enough to just get on it and get better.
10. What changes have you seen in yourself since starting at OPCF?
I defintely feel stronger and have more energy throughout the day. I have been able to get out of my comfort zone and get into some dark places during workouts.
11. What is your biggest improvement or proudest accomplishment thus far?
Finally hitting a body weight snatch and making some lifelong friendships.
12. How do you fit working out into your weekly schedule?
Well things have gotten a lot harder to manage after the birth of my daughter, but I get in when I can and make the most of it while I am there.
13. What is something you have always wanted to do but haven’t yet?
Inside the gym: I am so close to handstand walks but I am just not there yet. Outside the gym: I want travel across Europe – Ireland, Scottland, and Italy.