Each month Overland Park CrossFit recognizes a member who exemplifies our values and motivates others in the gym to push themselves with encouraging words. September’s Athlete of the Month is Ashlee Kessen. Ashlee was chosen by the owners, and nominated by a member, because of her dedication and commitment to being the best athlete she can be. Day in and day out we see how hard Ashlee works during class, and after. It’s inspiring to other athletes! Learn more about Ashlee below.
1. What were your thoughts after your first CrossFit workout?
It didn’t look this hard on the CrossFit/Netflix documentary! It was extremely humbling and continues to be every day.
- What has been your favorite workout?
I really enjoy anything with rowing or deadlifts. Also, I did a variation of DT at the Meshugge Terminus Summer competition and really loved it.
- What is your favorite cheat meal?
Saturated Fat + Carb combos.
Examples: pizza or burger and fries.
- Where do you work?
I’m a medical device sales rep for Olympus. I sell surgical camera across the state, so essentially I work in my car.
- What do you like to do outside of work?
Be at OPCF! Since we moved here in January, OPCF has truly became our family. Me and my hot husband (Jake) were incredibly fortunate to drop in one day and have Kevin Jones convince us to buy a membership THAT day. I cant imagine what life here would be like without you all!
6. What advice would you give a newbie just starting at OPCF?
CrossFit in general can be very intimidating at times, especially in the beginning. OP has great coaches and resources to help you and everyone here genuinely wants you to do your best! Keep grinding!
- What is your favorite lift?
Front Squats! I love the core + leg combo
- What’s your biggest “GOAT”?
Everything. But especially anything gymnastic.
- What changes have you seen in yourself since starting at OPCF?
I think I’ve gotten more mentally tough, especially during the long wods. Also, I’ve been here for 9 months and I have PR’d every lift!
- What is your biggest improvement or proudest accomplishment thus far?
I would say the best one yet would be breaking the 200lb barrier for back squat.
- What is something you have always wanted to do but haven’t yet?