Each month Overland Park CrossFit recognizes a member who exemplifies our values and motivates others in the gym to push themselves with encouraging words. February’s Athlete of the Month is Brad Cusick. Brad was chosen because of how hard he’s worked over his time at OPCF. Athletes can look to fellow athletes, such as Brad, who are succeeding by putting in the work on form and technique before adding weight. His work ethic will help him to continue to achieve his goals while staying healthy in the process! Learn more about Brad below.
1. How long have you been working out at Overland Park CrossFit?
I just finished my 1st year in January.
2. What were your thoughts after your first CrossFit workout?
I thought I maybe bit off more than I could chew.
3. What has been your favorite workout?
I like the running workouts, and pull-up workouts.
4. What is your favorite cheat meal?
Can I have just one? I pretty much eat what I want in moderation. Don’t hate me.
5. What did you want to be when you grew up and where do you work now?
I was going to be a comic book artist. I work for Overland Park Fire Department as the Deputy Chief of Administration.
6. What do you like to do outside of work?
Hang out with my family.
7. What advice would you give a newbie just starting at OPCF?
Stick with it, you’ll be glad you did.
8. What is your favorite lift?
Snatches are growing on me.
9. What’s your biggest “GOAT”?
I have no idea what that means….
10. What changes have you seen in yourself since starting at OPCF?
I feel more energized. I work out over my lunch hour so it really helps break up the day and reduce stress.
11. What is your biggest improvement or proudest accomplishment thus far?
It’s hard to say. I did a 24 ft handstand walk for the first time. I’m pretty excited that I can do muscle-ups – that is not something I really thought I could do.
12. How do you fit working out into your weekly schedule?
I work out over lunch. I have it easy because I can walk to the gym in less than 5 minutes – I just work up the hill.