Each month Overland Park CrossFit recognizes a member who exemplifies our values and motivates others in the gym to push themselves with encouraging words. August’s Athlete of the Month is John Haertling. John was chosen because of how hard he works and his consistency in the gym. John wants to always improve, and has the drive to do so, which is shown by him giving his best every time. Learn more below about John!
1. What were your thoughts after your first CrossFit workout?
I was surprised at how exhausting the workouts could be, but my adrenaline was pumping and I was eager to go back and try another class.
- What has been your favorite workout?
I like Murph and I look forward to it as it really tests your endurance, strength, and mental toughness to get through it. Although this past year, I thought I was going to have a heat stroke.
- What is your favorite cheat meal?
Joe’s KC, Waldo Pizza, Beer Kitchen, Westside Local…I could go on and on.
- Where do you work?
I’m an Account Executive with Travelers National Property.
- What do you like to do outside of work?
I’d like to say that I have an exciting and cool life outside of work, but with a 3 year old and 2 month old – they keep me honest. I do know all the words to the children’s book, “Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?”.
6. What advice would you give a newbie just starting at OPCF?
My advice would be to consistently go as much as your body will allow you. You’ll learn a lot from the coaches and the other members in your workout. Also, they’ll hold you accountable and be there to cheer you on when you PR – shout out to the 5:30AM class regulars.
- What is your favorite lift?
Snatch – My form isn’t perfect, but I like the challenge of such a complex movement.
- What’s your biggest “GOAT”?
Anything gymnastics related including ring muscle up and walking on my hands.
- What changes have you seen in yourself since starting at OPCF?
I recently had my annual physical and my doctor said that my blood work and weight were the best they’ve been in the past 3 years.
- What is your biggest improvement or proudest accomplishment thus far?
I can do a bar muscle up – it’s far from pretty, but I can heave myself up there.
- What is something you have always wanted to do but haven’t yet?