Each month Overland Park CrossFit recognizes a member who exemplifies our values and motivates others in the gym to push themselves with encouraging words. January’s Athlete of the Month is Josh Cornett. Josh was chosen because of his hard work and daily dedication to improving his skills and technique for every movement. He has been a great addition to our gym family and we are excited to see what he is capable of in 2020! Learn more about Josh below.
1. How long have you been working out at Overland Park CrossFit?
It has been about 6 weeks since I swapped over to the regular CrossFit class.
2. What were your thoughts after your first CrossFit workout? Do you remember what it was?
The first regular class I went to was on 10/22 and the workout was AMRAP 9: 100m Run, 8 Power Snatch, 5C2B + 3 MU. My thoughts during the class were mostly “Don’t throw up”; but after the class I was really excited because it was so hard and I couldn’t do a bunch of the workout. It made me really want to get better!
3. What has been your favorite workout so far?
I really enjoy the Saturday team workouts in general because they tend to be so different from our regular workouts throughout the week. Also, any workout where I’m not limited by anything except how hard I can push myself is fun.
4. What is your favorite cheat meal?
Sunday morning donuts. Every week I wake up and tell myself to be strong and that I don’t need them, but it never seems to work.
5. What did you want to be when you grew up and where do you work now?
For a long time, I wanted to be an Olympic Gymnast when I grew up. Now I am an eDiscovery Implementation Specialist, which is a fancy way of saying I am a project manager for software and hardware-related projects dealing with Law Firms and Corporations.
6. What do you like to do outside of work?
I’m a pretty huge bookworm and I love to hike (which is kind of a hard hobby to have in Kansas). I also spend a lot of time working on home improvement projects.
7. What advice would you give a newbie just starting at OPCF?
Be consistent; whether its coming to as many classes as possible, your diet, or your form. Working towards a consistent level is the most important thing.
8. What is your favorite/least favorite movement?
My favorite is any gymnastics movement; they seem to be the one thing in CrossFit that has just clicked for me! Least favorite is double-unders. I’m not even jumping rope; it’s just me whipping myself over and over.
9. What’s one CrossFit goal you have set for yourself to accomplish this next year?
Consistently RX every workout. I’m still scaling some of the weights and number of reps but I’d like to get past that!
10. What changes have you seen in yourself since starting at OPCF?
My diet has gotten better. I used to *try* to eat decent but never took it very seriously. CrossFit has really helped me be more strict with myself and what I am eating.
11. What is your biggest improvement or proudest accomplishment thus far?
I think my biggest improvement so far has really been in my form overall, with my proudest being deadlifts. I’m still pretty bad at them but it no longer feels like I’m going to break my back every time I do them.
12. How do you fit working out into your weekly schedule?
I think you have to make time for what is a priority. Working out is one of my biggest priorities. I try to not ever view it as optional but just consider it an obligation. So pretty much everything else is planned around working out.
13. What is something you have always wanted to do but haven’t yet?
I want to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail; it’s a big goal of mine to do that before my 30th birthday!