Each month Overland Park CrossFit recognizes a member who exemplifies our values and motivates others in the gym to push themselves with encouraging words. November’s Athlete of the Month is Krista Martin. Krista was chosen because of how hard she works day in and day out at the gym. Krista also has such a positive attitude and attacks each challenge that comes her way! Learn more about Krista below.
1. What were your thoughts after your first CrossFit workout?
My very first CrossFit workout was Fight Gone Bad at Plano CrossFit in 2007 and I thought to myself…damn I am not in shape AT ALL!
- What has been your favorite workout?
It is a tie – Fight Gone Bad and Murph. I know…I am weird.
- What is your favorite cheat meal?
Pizza and any bar food…nachos, fried foods, burgers. I’m sure you get the picture by now.
- Where do you work?
TouchNet in Transaction Services.
- What do you like to do outside of work?
Outside of being at OPCF, hangout with my moody dog Hugo, family and friends. Plus go to the movies, sporting events and concerts.
6. What advice would you give a newbie just starting at OPCF?
It gets better and you will start to be able to do movements you never thought possible. Plus you will make some great friends. Some of my closest friends have come from people I met at CrossFit.
- What is your favorite lift?
- What’s your biggest “GOAT”?
A pull-up…I just want to do a pull up!
- What changes have you seen in yourself since starting at OPCF?
Improving my back squat. I injured myself a few years ago doing back squats. It is the one movement I hated doing mostly because I knew I wasn’t doing it right. I have received great coaching on improving my mobility and form which has helped tremendously.
- What is your biggest improvement or proudest accomplishment thus far?
Getting half way up on a rope climb. I could never figure out the foot work and with the coaches help I got that. Now just the confidence to go all the way up knowing I have to come back down.
- What is something you have always wanted to do but haven’t yet?