Each month Overland Park CrossFit recognizes a member who exemplifies our values and motivates others in the gym to push themselves with encouraging words. January’s Athlete of the Month is Louis Palma. We consider ourselves lucky to have a hard working, consistent, and positive athlete like Louis represent OPCF! Learn more below about Louis!
- What were your thoughts after your first CrossFit workout?
Holy sh*t I’m not in shape.
- What has been your favorite workout?
135 pound Snatch, 30 reps
165 pound Snatch, 30 reps
210 pound Snatch, as many reps as possible
- What is your favorite cheat meal?
Chips. I love chips. Man, do I love chips.
- Where do you work?
TD Ameritrade. I manage mobile trading.
- What do you like to do outside of work?
Spend time with my family. I have a 4 year old (Wesley), and a 3 year old (Lucy). They are the best things ever. My wife is pretty great too. I love movies and TV as well. I’m working on becoming a professional screenwriter as well.
- What advice would you give a newbie just starting at OPCF?
Scale everything. Learn proper form, then increase weight and reps. Seen too many people blow themselves up. Start slow. No need to go 6 days a week in your first month.
- What is your favorite lift?
Snatch. When you do it right, which is rare for me, it’s effortless and a thing of beauty.
- What’s your biggest “GOAT”?
Pistols and hspu’s. My knees hate pistols and hspu’s are just awful. Maybe because I’m too lanky. All I know is I hope I never see myself do a hspu. Its got to look ridiculous.
- What changes have you seen in yourself since starting at OPCF?
Going back to my answer on question 1. I’m now in shape!
- What is your biggest improvement or proudest accomplishment thus far?
My proudest accomplishment is that after 7 years I’m still able to do CrossFit and hit a PR or two every now and then. I love CrossFit. I hope to do it forever.
- What is something you have always wanted to do but haven’t yet?
185 snatch. I’m getting it this year… hopefully before Vince.