Each month Overland Park CrossFit recognizes a member who exemplifies our values and motivates others in the gym. April’s Athlete of The Month is Jackie Downing. Jackie is an afternoon regular! She is a nurse practitioner in general medicine at KU. She has been doing crossfit for 6 months! Every single day that she comes in, she crushes it! We are so grateful to have Jackie at OPCF and want to give her a special shoutout!
|How long have you been working out at Overland Park CrossFit?
What were your thoughts after your first CrossFit workout? Do you remember what it was?
– my first one was back in 2012, I don’t remember what it was but I do remember thinking it felt like being back in sports in high school. My husband and I were members of CrossFit diem prior to it closing and coming here.
What has been your favorite workout so far?
– anything without running or pull-ups and anything with rowing in it.
What did you want to be when you grew up and where do you work now?
– I wanted to be a veterinarian when I was growing up. I also thought it would be awesome to be an astronaut but getting carsick in vehicles ruled that career out. I currently work as a nurse practitioner in general medicine at KU.
What do you like to do outside of work?
– I grow a lot of flowers and vegetables from seed. We live on five acres in Spring Hill/bucyrus. I enjoy going to gardens, trying new breweries or wineries with my husband and traveling. I love learning, especially about plants and listening to podcasts.
What advice would you give a newbie just starting at OPCF?
– Don’t judge yourself and your growth based on what others can do and give yourself grace while getting stronger.
What is on your bucket list?
-some day I’d like to work with flowers/plants, maybe owning my own business.
Aside from necessities, what one thing could you not go a day without?
– coffee and sparkling water
If your pet could talk, what do you think they might say about you?
– Barley, our crazy black lab/catahoula leopard mix would say that he loves me best even if I’m never the one that feeds him or takes him outside.
What is your favorite random fact?
The mascot for the University of Minnesota is a golden gopher, which is my alumni.