Each month Overland Park CrossFit recognizes a member who exemplifies our values and motivates others in the gym to push themselves with encouraging words. November’s Athlete of the Month is Laura Loeffert. Laura was chosen because of her energy and hard work she puts in each class! Laura is also so supportive of other OPCF athletes which we love! Learn more about Laura below.
1. How long have you been working out at Overland Park CrossFit?
I started in March of 2019.
2. What were your thoughts after your first CrossFit workout?
I started with boot camp classes. They were a great way to get to know people and get a feel for the movements. One day I was the only bootcamper and so I was lucky enough to do a Crossfit class. I wasn’t sure I was going to make it but once it was over I wanted to do it again!
3. What is your favorite cheat meal?
BBQ and French fries
4. What did you want to be when you grew up and where do you work now?
Growing up I thought I wanted to be an interior designer. In my previous life before kids, I was an elementary school teacher. Now I’m a stay at home mom with three kids.
5. What do you like to do outside of work?
In my free time I love to hang out with my sisters and working out.
6. What advice would you give a newbie just starting at OPCF?
You have to go in with an open mind and know that the coaches are there to help you. The boot camp classes are an amazing way to get started so you have the confidence when moving into a CrossFit class. Any movement can be changed to work for you! OPCF is a welcoming community and everyone wants you to succeed.
7. What is your favorite lift?
I love to deadlift. It makes me feel invincible!
8. What’s your biggest “GOAT”?
My biggest GOAT is a muscle up. I will get there someday!!!
9. What is your biggest improvement or proudest accomplishment thus far?
My biggest improvement is my kipping. I can string together a few kipping pull-ups and I can do toes to bar which I couldn’t do when I started. My proudest accomplishment would be completing the open and RXing every workout.
10. How do you fit working out into your weekly schedule?
I usually plan my week around my workouts. I get in 3-4 workouts a week. Thankfully the 9:30am crew is amazing and so helpful with my 2 1/2 yr old son. I am able to get my workouts in while the big kids are at school. Which is great because our evenings are full of activities.
11. What is something you have always wanted to do but haven’t yet?
I would love to do more traveling. Italy, France, Greece, are all on the bucket list.