Each month Overland Park CrossFit recognizes a member who exemplifies our values and motivates others in the gym to push themselves with encouraging words. March’s Athlete of the Month is Emily Ruble. Emily was chosen because because of how hard she works in the gym! We love seeing her get involved in local competitions and how encouraging she is of others within the community! Learn more below about Emily!
1. What were your thoughts after your first CrossFit workout?
“That was horrible!!! Did I win? Can we do it again tomorrow?”
- What has been your favorite workout?
Some beautiful creation of rowing, heavy deadlifts, and wallballs. Think we can make this happen? Call it the Emily?
- What is your favorite cheat meal?
Pizza holds a very special place in my heart…. Okay, geez, and peanut M&Ms.
- Where do you work?
I am a pre-kindergarten teacher at Briarwood Elementary School. I call that my second workout of the day. Sometimes we even do burpees and squats in class.
- What do you like to do outside of work?
I really enjoy my job and all the work I get to do there. Along with CrossFit, I’ve recently taken up yoga. I love the balance I get from both types of workouts.
6. What advice would you give a newbie just starting at OPCF?
1. Never skip Monday! It’s bad juju for your week if you don’t get in there on Monday. 2. Don’t be too hard on yourself. You’re allowed to be a masterpiece and work-in-progress at the same time.
- What is your favorite lift?
You’re making me choose? Back squat or deadlifts. Pick up heavy stuff, put it back down, high-fives all around.
- What’s your biggest “GOAT”?
Full-squat snatch. Yucky.
- What changes have you seen in yourself since starting at OPCF?
What makes CrossFit at OPCF so perfect for me is that I’ve seen change in some positive areas, but also many things have been able to stay the same. After 4 years as a Division 1 athlete, I’ve seen a lot of teammates leave their athletic career behind them and become physically and mentally unhealthy. CrossFit gives me the chance to continue to feed my competitive side, be surrounded by a community of like-minded athletes, and be in love with what my body is capable of everyday. That said, today I am faster, stronger, and fitter than I ever have been before.
- What is your biggest improvement or proudest accomplishment thus far?
- What is something you have always wanted to do but haven’t yet?