Each month Overland Park CrossFit recognizes a member who exemplifies our values and motivates others in the gym to push themselves with encouraging words. January’s Athlete of the Month is Abby Dunn. Abby was chosen because she always pushes herself in the gym no matter the workout. She takes every tip or cue and focuses her energy in applying that to get better in a movement or workout! Abby’s drive is very contagious within a class atmosphere! Learn more below about Abby!
1. What were your thoughts after your first CrossFit workout?
I knew my first CrossFit workout was going to be tough, but I didn’t think I would be sore that night! Soreness is now just a way of life. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- What has been your favorite workout?
I love body weight movements and any sort of cardio. I really enjoyed the 20-1 workout we did a few weeks ago, which consisted of squats, sit-ups, and push-ups.
- What is your favorite cheat meal?
Without question, a burger from BRGR with truffle fries and a caramel Kahlua shake.
- Where do you work?
I work at Lockton Companies as an Account Administrator.
- What do you like to do outside of work?
I enjoy kayaking, skiing, biking, hiking, running, taking my pup, Honey, to the dog park, and doing DIY projects.
6. What advice would you give a newbie just starting at OPCF?
There will be days when you underperform and days when you’ll completely rock a workout. I’ve found that consistency and patience is key!
- What is your favorite lift?
- What’s your biggest “GOAT”?
Snatches…they still feel awkward.
- What changes have you seen in yourself since starting at OPCF?
I’ve seen several changes physically, but more than anything, I feel much more confident as a result of joining CrossFit. My increased confidence has improved my career, relationships, and friendships.
- What is your biggest improvement or proudest accomplishment thus far?
- What is something you have always wanted to do but haven’t yet?