Summer: the hectic, crazy, busy time of year where you are driving like a maniac to pick up one kid from basketball camp, drop another kid off at VBS, and take another kid to a friend’s house for a playdate, all while trying not to lose your marbles. On top of this madness brought on by your kids, you have to figure out some way to keep them fed as well.
Maybe you don’t have kids yet, but you are trying to balance 50-60 hours at the office every week, squeeze in an hour in the evening to hit the gym, and get at least six hours of sleep every night. By the time you finally get home in the evenings, all you want to do is take a quick shower and then hit the hay. Making something to eat is the last thing on your mind.
When life gets too crazy for you to even breathe, how are you supposed to have enough time to cook meals for the week, let alone meals that are healthy? The fitness community constantly raves about the benefits of meal prepping on the weekends, but even this task can seem incredibly daunting. So, what’s the solution? This super easy, super yummy, super healthy shredded chicken recipe:
Healthy Crockpot Shredded Chicken
- 2 lbs frozen chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
- 1.25 oz. taco seasoning packet (about 1/4 cup)
- 4.5 oz. mild diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 cups mild salsa or medium salsa
- Place all ingredients into a crockpot and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked thoroughly and will shred easily.
- Remove chicken from crockpot and shred, removing any fat.
- Place back into the crockpot and stir with remaining liquid. Cover and keep warm in the crockpot until ready to serve.
Nutrition Facts (amount per serving; makes 6 servings):
- Calories – 206
- Total Fat – 4g
- Total Carbohydrates – 8g
- Sugar – 39
- Protein – 33g
Combine this shredded chicken with brown rice, black beans, a little bit of guacamole, pico de gayo, greek yogurt, and a smidgeon of cheese, and you have yourself a delicious burrito bowl that rivals those of Chipotle!
*Recipe taken from laurenslatest.com*